TWINKLE, TWINKLE LITTLE STAR
A. In this study we will discuss the subject: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
so you will not have to wonder who you are. We are going to study about
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star to help you remember who you are.
B. The poem TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR has been around
forever. I read somewhere that it was first published in 1806. I’m sure most
of you have heard it:
Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are?
Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky
When the blazing sun is gone, when he nothing shines upon
Then you show your little light, twinkle, twinkle all the night
Then the traveler in the dark, thanks you for your tiny spark
He could not see which way to go, if you did not twinkle so
In the dark blue sky you keep, and often through my curtains peep’
For you never shut your eye, ‘till the sun is in the sky.
C. How about this one:
Star light, star bright
First star I see tonight
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have the wish I wish tonight.
D. One of the things that will motivate us and keep us going in the right direction is to be reminded of who we are. And Twinkle, Twinkle, little Star
Will serve to emphasize just who we are.
E. Remember that God wants us to stay motivated to serve Him.
1. God does not want us agitated, he wants us motivated.
2. He does not want us irritated, he wants us motivated.
3. He does not want us aggravated, he wants us motivated.
4. He does not want us devastated, he wants us motivated.
5. He does not want us exasperated, he wants us motivated.
C. Twinkle, twinkle, little star, you don’t have to wonder who you are. You
are called out of the world and will live on high, and you shine like a diamond in the sky.
D. The Bible has quite a lot to say about stars.
1. I’m talking about real stars. The stars you can see at night.
2. Now the Bible is not a book on astronomy or a study of stars.
a. It doesn’t tell us a whole lot about the creation of stars.
b. In fact, I’m sometimes amazed when I read Genesis 1:16 where the Bible says only five words about God creating the stars: “He made the stars also.”
c .Thinking about the universe makes us wonder why God would even give mankind a second thought. It’s like David said, “When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained. What is man that You are mindful of him?” (Ps. 8:4-5).
d. I understand that no two human finger prints are the same. I am told that no two snowflakes are the same. And, according to Paul, “one star differs from another star in glory.” (I Cor. 15:41).
e. And, not only are they different, they are also innumerable. In Genesis 22:17 God told Abraham, “I will multiply your descendents as the stars of heaven.” And the stars in the sky are like the sand of the sea “innumerable” (Heb. 11:12).
d. In Amos 5:8 the Bible talks about “the seven stars”
e. And then when you open up the New Testament you don’t read very far until you get to Matthew 2:2 where you read the wise men say they saw “His star is in the east.”
3. The Bible not only speaks of the stars in the sky, but sometimes God speaks of a star representing a person.
a. For example in Genesis 37:9 Joseph had a dream and he dreamed that the sun and the moon and the eleven stars bowed down to him.
i) The sun and the moon represented his mother and father.
ii) But the eleven stars represented his eleven brothers.
b. Then I remember reading in Job 38:7 where God asked Job
all those questions.
i) One question was this,“Job, where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? When the morning stars sang?”
ii) And then he says, “When the son’s of God shouted for joy.”
iii) The “morning stars” and the “sons of God” are the same ones.
iv. And who are those morning stars? They wouldn’t be man because man wasn’t created when God laid the foundation of the earth.
v. So when He uses the word “stars” in Job 38:7 he is talking about angels.
C. In Revelation 1 John records a vision in which he saw the Lord and in the Lord’s right hand were seven stars. We are told later that those seven stars are the messengers, or angels, of the seven churches. (Rev. 1:20).
d. And so God has used the term “stars” to represent human beings and angels.
e. Even today we speak of “movie stars” and “star” athletes. In fact we have baseball “All Stars” and football “All Stars.”
4. He even used the word “Star” to represent Jesus.
a. In Numbers 24:17 Balaam made the following prediction: “A Star shall come out of Jacob.”
b. When he was speaking of a star coming out of Jacob he was talking about Jesus.
c. In the book of Revelation chapter 22:16 you have Jesus making this statement: “I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”
5. And then He also uses the word star to represent Christians:
a. In Daniel 12:3 Daniel says, “Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the firmament, and those who turn many to righteousness like the stars forever and ever.
b. I think when he talks about those who turn many to righteousness He is referring to Christians.
c. In Philippians 2:15 the Bible says that Christians are to “shine as lights in the world.”
d. Why? Because you are to TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE
STAR, and you don’t have to wonder who you are. Called out of
the world to a home on high…you shine like a diamond in the
E. Now, you are not a fallen star.
1. When I was a young man I used to hear a song with a line that said, “A fallen star, that’s what you are.”
2. Well, you not a fallen star, but you are a faithful star.
3. “The twinkle in your eye did come from the sky”… if you know what I mean.
4. And you didn’t “stray from the milky way” but you can stay in the narrow way (Jn. 14:6).
5. In fact, when I look out over this audience, I want you to think of me as a “Star Gazer”.
a. Because that is what I am doing.
b. I’m looking at some stars.
c. Someone might say, “Well, Wayne, why are you calling a
me a twinkling star? Because twinkle means “to shine with a
F. In this study, we will use the letters in the word S-T-A-R help you remember who you are.
I SAVED. “S” in the word star we will let stand for “saved”.
A. One of the reasons you should TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE
STAR is because you are saved. That should put a twinkle in you eye.
1. You see, you kind of stand out from the rest of the people, because you are saved.
2. Look at the book of Titus chapter 3:5 and notice what he says here about Christians:
a.” Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;”
b. Notice that Paul says “He saved us!
3. Jesus said in Mark 16:16, “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved”
4. I Corinthians 1:18, the Bible says, “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.”
5. 2 Timothy 1:9 says, “Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,”
6. God has saved us! You are not:
a. Almost saved,
b. Nearly saved,
c. Barely saved,
d. Just about saved,
e. Going to be saved.
f. YOU ARE SAVED!
B. We have received the “blood of sprinkling” (Heb. 12:24; 1 Pet. 1:2) and that is the reason for all this “twinkling.”
II. TALENTED. The “T” stands for talented.
A. TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR with God you can go no telling
B. Did you know that every Christian has a talent or gift from God?
1. In Matthew 25:14-15 the Bible says that, “For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability;”
a. And every person in the kingdom has a talent, a gift, an ability that God has given them.
b. Everybody has a gift.
2. Look at I Peter 4:10, “As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
a. You see God has given you these gifts to be a steward.
b. In Acts 8:18 there were gifts given in the early church instantly and miraculously by the laying on of the Apostles hands.
c. But that is not the gifts we are talking about.
d. Not all the gifts in the New Testament were miraculous gifts and not all Christians had the apostles hands laid on them.
e. But everyone did have a gift (or gifts) because, notice again 2 Peter 3:10, “As each one has received a gift ,minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.”
f. Now watch verse 11,”If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers ,let him do it as with the ability which God supplies,”
g. God has given each a gift. He sets His people in the church, just as He pleases. (1 Cor. 12:11). And while every one does not have the same gift, we do all have some gift.
3. Romans 12 talks about gifts from God.
a. Notice carefully that some of these gifts He talks about Christians having would not be considered miraculous by most.
b. But Romans 12:3-8, “God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same function:”
c. We can’t all do the same thing. We don’t all have the same function.
d.“So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with he that showeth mercy, with cheerfulness.”
i) Notice that he says that each has a gift. Did you ever think of giving as a gift.
ii) We have some gifted people right here that have the gift to give.
iii) They might not be able to do a lot of other things, but they can make money and they will give it.
e. Oh, by the way, don’t let someone tell that a preacher not interested in money.
I heard about this hippie one time who came to church. He was truly a hippie. I mean, he looked like a hippie. He dressed like a hippie. He was a hippie. I mean, he looked like to armpits with eyes. He came to church. At the end of services some of the big dogs in the church came to the preacher and said, “You are going to have to do something about this. You are going to have to tell him, he can’t come here. He will destroy our image in the community. So the preacher went out to talk to him. He was leaning up against the building. The preacher said, “We are glad you were here today.”
The hippie said, “Man, I’m hip. That was one rap session you had today. I was spaced out over that. In fact, I was so spaced out that I laid a “C” note on the dude who was collecting the bread.” Which means that he put a hundred dollar bill in the collection plate. When the preacher heard that, all he could say was, “Crazy, man, crazy. That’s groovy, Dude.”
f. What I am saying is that is a gift. I know a lot of people who can make money, but they can’t turn it loose. (About the only song they can sing with feeling is the verse that says, “When we asunder part, it gives us inward pain”). But there are those, believe it or not, who are gifted to give.
g. And then he said, “he who leads.” etc.
4. You might say, “Well, what is my gift?” Well, I don’t know, but I do know that everyone is gifted to do something.
a. Well someone might say, “I’m not gifted to do anything.”
b. Well then, you can serve as a bad example, but you are gifted
to do something.
III. APPRECIATED. And then the “A” stands for APPRECIATED.
A. Twinkle, twinkle, little star because we are proud of who you are.
B. You are appreciated.
1. You know when Paul was writing a letter to the Romans in Romans 1:8 he said, “I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
a. You are appreciated in this church.
b. (Talk about different ones: elders, deacons, teachers, etc.)
2. It is amazing how much good we can say about someone when they die.
a. When they die we just pour it on.
b. I heard about a guy one time who died and his wife and children were sitting on the front row.
c. The preacher began to talk about what great guy he was, and what nice, kind, considerate, and what a generous guy he was. d. d. He kept going on and on and on.
e. Finally the lady punched her oldest son and said, “Go up there make sure that is your daddy he’s talking about.”
3. But that is the way we are. When they die we just pour it on.
4. But a person cannot understand any of that when he is gone.
“So, if with pleasure you are viewing
any work that one is doing.
If you like them or you love them
tell them now.
Don’t withhold your affirmation
Until some preacher makes ablation
And he lies with lilies on his brow.
For then no matter how you shout it,
He won’t care a thing about it,
He won’t know the many tear drops you have shed.
If you think some praise is due him,
Now’s the time to slip it to him,
For he cannot read his tombstone when he’s dead.
If he’s earned his praise bestow it,
If you like him let him know it.
Let those words of true encouragement be said.
But don’t you wait till life is over,
And he’s underneath the clover.
For he cannot read his tombstone when he’s dead.” (Author unknown).
B. And you know that is one of the things we need to do more of here. We need to express appreciation.
1. Paul would say, “We give thanks to God always for you.” (1 Thess. 1:2).
2. And we know that is important.
a. Everybody has a little sign on them that says, “Make me feel important.”
b. And everyone needs to feel important.
c. And one of the ways to make them feel important is to tell them how important they really are.
d. But so many times I forget about it or fool around and don’t tell them like I should.
C. You are appreciated in this church.
D. But not only are you appreciate by us, but you are appreciated by God.
1. God appreciates YOU.
2. Sometimes we get the idea that God is some kind of power in the sky who cannot wait to see you die so he can carry you off to hell, by and by.
3. But that is not the way He is.
4. In Job 1:8 God said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?”
a. He knew what Job was doing and he know what you are doing.
b. And He appreciates what you do.
E. TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR because God is proud of who you
I. REDEEMED. Finally the letter “R” in the word “STAR” stands for redeemed.
A. Twinkle, twinkle, little star because Jesus made you what you
B. The only reason you are saved, talented and appreciated? It is because
you are REDEEMED.
C. I Peter 1:18-19 says, “knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
1. Redeemed, that is why we are saved.
2. Redeemed, that is why we are talented.
3. Redeemed, that is why we are appreciated.
D. Think about it;
1. Redeemed how I love to proclaim it.
a. Why would I love to proclaim it?
b. Because it makes me a little star.
2. “Redeemed how I love to proclaim it.
Redeemed by the blood of the lamb.
Redeemed by His infinite mercy,
His child and forever I am.
Redeemed and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell.
I know that the light of His presence.
With me doth continually dwell.”
A. TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR because Jesus made you who
are. He came into the world from His home on high, so you could shine like a diamond in the sky. You can receive the salvation that Jesus has provided and be baptized in His name anytime (Col. 2:6 & 12).
G & P Ministries/Ohatchee Church of Christ
im-1-9″>who has saved us and called us with