Wondering Wizard of Uz # 3
THE WONDERING WIZARD OF UZ (No. 3)
In this article, we are again “off to see the Wizard, the Wondering Wizard of Uz”. Job was a “Wizard” and he lived “in the land of Uz”. This is our third visit to this “land of Uz”. He is an example for us all (James 5:11). But what do we learn from him? In this third article we will briefly mention another lesson we can learn from this “example of suffering and patience” (James 5:10).
LESSON THREE. One of main lessons we learn from Job is this: “The most important thing on earth is not the things on earth.” The most important thing on earth is “trust” in God. Job lost the things that most people consider most important, but he never lost his “trust” in God. Remember his statement “though he slay me, yet will I trust in Him” (Job 13:15)? This is the one thing that Satan could not take away. This is the one thing that Job did not lose. There are many things that are important to us on earth. For example,
- RELATIONSHIPS. All of us probably agree that earthly relationships are important. Job had some important earthly relationships. But he lost them. He had a relationship with his children, wife, friends and others. But all of his children died in one day. His wife, brothers, friends and others turned against him. And even the three friends who stuck with him accused him of some horrible things. Earthly relationships, as important as they may be, are not the most important thing on earth.
- WEALTH. Some people consider riches as the most important thing on earth. And, of course, there is nothing wrong with being rich. It can be a blessing. Job had plenty of earthly riches. In fact, when it came to riches, he was the “greatest man in the East” (Job 1:3). Like Bill Gates, he was famous for his wealth. But he lost all of his wealth. It was all “taken away” (Job 2:21). Many in our day have lost all of the wealth that they had. Investors in Enron and other stocks have lost their fortunes. Others have lost their money in bad real estate investments, bad business deals and other ways. Riches can be important when properly used, but they are not the most important thing on earth.
- RESPECT. Being respected is an important thing. Living in such a way that others respect us is a worthy goal for us all. “A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches” (Proverbs 22:1). But “respect” is not the most important thing on earth. Job was respected and admired by those who knew him. But Job lost the respect of others. Satan was allowed to take it away. Job said, “even the little boys scorned me, when I appear, they ridicule me” (Job 19:18). Having others respect us is important, but it is not the most important thing on earth.
- REPUTATION. Having a good reputation is important. Job had a good reputation. Job said that there was a time when “everyone listened to my advice” (Job 29:21). He was like E. F. Hutton, when he spoke, people would listen. But he lost his reputation. Satan destroyed it. Even the younger men mocked and made fun of him (Job 30:1). Having a good reputation is important, but it not the most important thing on earth.
- HEALTH. Being healthy is important. God wants us to “prosper in all things and be in health” (III John 1:2). We are taught to “do yourself no harm” (Acts 16:28) and to “glorify God in your body” (I Cor. 6:20). Being healthy is important and we should all try to eat right, exercise right, and avoid things that destroy our health. Evidently Job was healthy for a long time. But he lost his health. After he was afflicted by Satan he lived for months in misery (Job 7:3). Having good health is important, but it is not the most important thing on earth.
Remember “the most important thing on earth is not the things on earth (relationships, wealth, respect, reputation, or health) because these things can change, be taken away, and/or destroyed. The most important thing on earth is to “trust in Him” (Job 13:15). When we go “off to see the Wizard, the Wondering Wizard of Uz”, we should not miss this point. In our next visit to the “land of Uz”, we will learn some other reasons why “trust in Him” is the most important thing on earth.